Week 7 Blog

 Lab:

In the lab, we worked on modeling the sun and some planets to scale. My group decided to use a clock for the sun and playdough for the planets. I didn't realize how small our planets would be compared to the sun. When we were given sticky notes to put behind the planets we made, I was shocked to learn that's how small they are compared to the sun. It was interesting to see the solar system mapped out in Lindquist because it seemed large. Knowing this model was to scale, made me realize how large the solar system is. It was helpful to see the objects in 3D because I'm used to only seeing 2D pictures or diagrams in textbooks. 







Lecture:

We learned that as teachers we should teach science with data and let kids draw their own conclusions. We also learned that Theia created the moon. Theia hit the Earth and some of the leftover debris created the moon. The moon and the Earth slowly move farther away from the sun yearly. They move about an inch away each year. It was interesting to learn that our shadow is always pointing North when we're in Iowa. I never knew this before because I thought our shadow moved around/changed direction depending on the time of the day. 


Pressbook:

From this pressbook chapter, I learned that the gaseous planets grew in size. As their gravity increased, they were able to collect materials from space to make the planets bigger. I also learned that Pluto isn't a planet because it doesn't meet all three requirements to be a planet. It was interesting to learn that a planet has to be able to clear the neighborhood. I never knew that scientists were able to discover that planets were capable of doing this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog