Week 14

 What did you learn this week?

This week we continued to work on explaining the "why" behind phenomenons. We chose the topic of melting. Our group worked on finding an explanation for what happens during the melting process. Also, we worked on explaining the difference between melting or dissolving specifically between the different states of matter. When the temperature increases, a solid can melt into a liquid. It doesn't change the object itself but it changes the particle makeup. When something melts to a liquid, the particles spread out and move faster. It's important to use precise language when explaining these topics. If the wrong words are used, it can change the meaning completely. 



How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what we learned to help introduce important vocabulary in the future. Before starting a unit, I can provide my class with a list of vocabulary words that will come up throughout the unit. This way they have a reference sheet. The reference sheet is a list of words they can use to help them explain the "why" or the phenomena their working on. Another way to apply what I learned is to incorporate both hands on learning and some computer work in an experiment. It was helpful to see the phenomena in front of us first and then see it in an online simulation. Combining the knowledge and information from both modes helped us come to a solid conclusion. It also will make an activity more engaging for students. They love to use technology and they also get the opportunity to work with the materials first hand. 

What are new or remaining questions? 

Why does as plunger stick to the table but not to the cardboard? What are other materials that a plunger won't stick to?




Comments

  1. VV!! I love the in-depth descriptions included on your blog post! I think the texture of the cardboard is difficult for the plunger to apply pressure to as there is limited air that can get trapped within the material itself! Sad you won't be in lab next week, epic video btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa! I loved your blog this week. I loved how you included vocabulary and stated you could use this in the future. Vocabulary is very important in lessons. I also enjoyed your video! Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa! Great work on this blog post! I'm loving your guys video, it shows your clear understanding of the course content. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa! I liked your question at the end as to why the plunger does not stick to the cardboard compared to other surfaces. And how you asked what other surfaces would make a plunger have a hard time to suctioning to. I am assuming it has to do with how solid the surface is but I am not sure! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog