Week 13

What did you learn this week?

This week we continued to learn about matter. We did another experiment with M&Ms to test if certain colors spread faster than others. In order to do this, Leah and I tested each color separately. We timed the amount of time it took for the color to dissolve off the bottom half of the M&M that was submerged in the water. Once we recorded this time, we used a ruler to measure how far the color spread on the plate. Based on our results, we concluded that yellow was the fastest to spread and brown was the second fastest. We continued this experiment by testing how sugar in the water affected the spreading. We learned that the higher the sugar level in the water the slower the color spread on the plate. 

How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what I have learned to my teaching by incorporating this experiment into a lesson. This experiment can be adapted for different grade levels. I can look at the NGSS to see what the focus is for the grade I am teaching. Also, I can give students activities that help them explain the "why". Instead of just giving them worksheets, I can incorporate hands-on learning like this. 

What are new or remaining questions?

What would happen if we added different things to the water such as salt or vinegar?







Comments

  1. Hey Vanessa! Great work this week! I love the question you posed on how this experiment would work with different liquids other than water. Great observation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nessa! Amazing job this week! I especially love the question you asked at the end, it is something I thought of as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog