Week 12
What did you learn this week?
This week we did an experiment to learn about the properties of matter. We were learning about the mass, volume, shape, color, what makes something float, etc. These objects were tested by using a scale, graduated cylinder, a battery, lightbulb, wires, and more. It was interesting to make hypothesis and then get to test them out. A lot of my predictions were incorrect. But, it was helpful to think about what made the results go in a different way than I imagined them too. I loved the hands on activities today because it makes the lab very engaging.
Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
I was able to relate what I already knew to this week because I have done some of the experiments before. I remember measuring the volume of items in Chemistry sophomore year of high school. We used water to measure the volume in a graduated cylinder just like we did today. The level the water increased after the object was placed inside is the volume of the object. I can apply the results and conclusions from this weeks lesson to my science experiences in the past. Also, I was able to relate the properties of matter to the information I already knew about matter.
How can you apply what you have learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I have learned to my future teaching in the future because these are popular elementary science experiences. Since I have done the experiment, I got to view it from a student's perspective. I got to experience the curiosity and all the questions that come with the experiment. I can apply what I have learned to provide better classroom supports for my students. It allows me to be more understanding of their perspective and helps me prepare answers to their possible questions.
Vanessa! I always look forward to seeing you and Leah in lab! Your pictures look great! I love how you mentioned how you were able to apply your prior scientific knowledge to this! Great work!
ReplyDeleteVanessa great blog this week! I also agree with using these stations in the future. I feel as these stations will benefit students learning and are good hands on activity ways to learn about matter, its properties, and its interactions.
ReplyDeleteGood work!
Hi Vanessa,
ReplyDeleteI agree that the hands-on lab this week was very engaging and helped us as future teachers view a lab from a student's perspective. As students, we like to be more hands-on and learn better when we can interact with minerals and in groups. You did a great job!
Yes Vanessa! Great job this week! I totally agree that this will be an awesome hands-on activity to share with our future students.
ReplyDeleteGreat work!
p.s. love the picture of Leah :)
Hi Vanessa! Great job this week. I agree that these activities would be great for using in the future. It was also cool to me to see these experiments from the students perspective. Nice work!
ReplyDelete