Week 11

 What did you learn this week?

This week our lesson was focused on matter. We went around the room completing six different stations. I really liked this activity because it got me thinking. I needed to think from both the teacher and the students perspective which was very beneficial. I learned how to reword or rephrase my observations to explain in a way that students will understand. Also, it helped me learn about my own understanding of the topic. I was able to make a list of things I understand and the other things I still want to learn before I teach on my own. The big ideas are often lost amidst a lesson, so it's important to focus on specific ones for the students to understand rather than overwhelming them with multiple at once. 

Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I was able to relate what I learned to what I already knew. When doing the experiments, I could predict what was going to happen at most of the stations. Based on what I already learned, I was able to dive deeper into asking more questions while analyzing the results. I learned to think about the lesson from a students perspective in addition to the teacher's perspective that I'm familiar with. 




How can you apply what you have learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what I have learned in the future by making sure my activities allow my students to be engaged in hands on learning. It isn't beneficial to play Bill Nye videos every science lesson. Students learn through doing rather than being lectured at. Allowing students to work together in groups will help get their creative juices flowing. They can orally explain the process, their thoughts, concerns, and questions. This helps add to the lesson and allow students to create their own understanding of each lesson. 

Comments

  1. Hi Vanessa! I really enjoyed your images. I agree that having hands on experiments for your students will engage them more. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog