Week 8 Blog

1. What did you learn this week?

This week we reviewed DNA and mutations. Mutations can be defined as a change in the DNA sequence. DNA is made up of four bases: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine. We also reviewed genes with our baby face activity. The phenotypes are the observable traits of our baby like blue eyes, brown hair, big lips/ears, etc. These were inherited traits from the parents. Acquired traits are non-heritable changes due to environment, disease, injury, accident, etc. Today we also did a DNA mutation simulation. We got to watch the DNA base pairs get created and then the RNA was created by copying this sequence. Then, the amino acids were created through the central dogma process. 

2. Are you able to connect what you learned to what you already knew?

I have already learned about genetic mutations but this was a great refresher. It was helpful that the lessons build off of each other. Since I have the knowledge of DNA, central dogma, etc. from last unit, it was easier to learn in class today. Also, I could connect the simulation to what we learned in the past weeks of class. It reviewed the concepts we learned through the lecture videos on DNA. 

3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what we learned to my teaching in the future by incorporating technology in the class. Students would love to get to use their technology during class. Using simulations or academic games are a great way to create engaging learning activities for students. During class we incorporated super heros into our lesson which is a great idea to incorporate into my future teaching. Letting students interests become a part of the lessons is another way to help them become excited to learn about the topic. 


Here is a plant update! It has really grown and improved since last week. We added a few sticks to help it grow straight. 



Comments

  1. You continue to amaze me week after week VV!! I am so proud to see our plant thriving:) I enjoyed learning about inherited traits and acquired ones today too! TWINS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog!
    I also agree, I will be using this information in the future and the simulations were a great way to get information and engage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa! Great blog! your plant looks so lively. I think that incorporating fun things like the superhero activity we did in class would be great to have in our future classrooms because it keeps the students engaged and helps them learn more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog