Week 10 Blog
What did you learn this week?
This week we reviewed the content learned throughout the semester so far to review for our exam. This included continuing our learning of natural selection. We also learned about mutation, evolution, and adaptive traits. The, we reviewed the NGSS in relation to life science. This is our last life science unit so it was a great review. This week I learned about the importance of fossils. Fossils help support Darwin's theory by showing that the organisms changed over time.
Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
Yes, I was able to relate what I learned to what I already knew. I knew that the strongest and most beneficial traits get passed down to the next generations. This helps the species adapt and makes it stronger every generation. When we switched out our utensils depending on their capability, it reminded me of natural selection. When the spoon was collecting the most beans in the 30 second time frame, that's the utensil my group and I switched too.
What are new or remaining questions?
After doing this activity, a new question I have is what other activities could help teach a science lesson on natural selection? Another question I have is why do some species adapt and survive but others go extinct?
Hey Vanessa! Great work this week! I like the two questions you came up with they are thoughtful and engaging! That would be a great case study for your future students to explore! Great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa! You did so good this week. I also believe the activity we did in class today that we can use it in the future!
ReplyDeleteVanessa, Great work! I was wondering the same thing about other activities we could teach in our classrooms to show what natural selection is. Something I thought of was creating a simulation game where students act as different species trying to survive in their environment. After multiple rounds, students can see how certain traits give an advantage for survival and reproduction.
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa! Awesome work this week! I love how you made a connection between changing utensils to natural selection.
ReplyDelete