Week 7

1. What did you learn this week?

This week we furthered our discussion about DNA. We learned that RNA comes from DNA because it makes small copies of parts of the DNA strand that is used to make protein. These copies are made during a process called transcription. The 20 different types of amino acids are what create protein.Genes are small sections of a DNA strand. There is four nucleotide base pairs that make up DNA. These include guanine, cytosine, adenine, and thymine. 


2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I took a Nutrition class over winter break. I can relate what I learned about amino acids and proteins to what we learned this week in class. I can also relate what we learned about DNA to my high school biology class. I knew about the general basics of DNA but this class helped reteach me the important details I forgot. 


3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what I've learned into activities for my teaching in the future. For example, this week we made DNA out of candy. It was a fun and engaging learning experience that helped further our learning of the DNA parts and structure. I could incorporate this activity into my future teaching or include others like it. For example, if I'm teaching kindergarten we won't be learning about DNA but we can use candy to do different activities throughout a unit. 

Here's an update of our plant. Since last week, the flowers bloomed! It's doing much better than it was last week. 


Also, here's Leah and I's child from this weeks activity!



Comments

  1. Top of the morning to you VV!! I love what you've done here and all the visuals you've included!! I agree that the hands-on candy model of DNA enhanced my knowledge of what makes up DNA. Keep up the fabulous work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa!! You killed it with your hands-on candy model of DNA. So creative and colorful!! It's so cool that you were able to connect today's science lesson to your nutrition class, how useful! Lastly, love to see that your fast plant is blooming beautiful flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vanessa! Great work with both of your activities this week, you show a great understanding of the content taught! I also plan to use these two activities into my future classroom, and I enjoy hearing your experience with your nutrition class! Awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa, I really enjoyed your blog for this week and see that you have really comprehended the material. I will for sure be using these activities in my future teaching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog