Week 6

 1. What did you learn this week?

This week we learned about pollination. We pollinated our fast plant flower to help keep them alive. The female bees help transfer the pollen from one flower to the next. We also learned about sea turtles. We read a children's book and played a game to help us understand the topic. It was heartbreaking to learn that only one in one thousand turtles survive. A lot of factors affect the turtles survival both through nature and by humans. For example, lights from houses on the beach can distract turtles or racoons could eat the turtle eggs. 



2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I am able to relate the lesson on turtles to what I already knew. When we played the turtle game, I was able to connect raccoons eating the eggs to a movie I have seen. In "The Last Song" the protagonist tries to protect the turtle eggs. She camps out around the nest to make sure nothing happens to them. One of the nights as shes guarding the nest, raccoons come and try to eat the eggs. Because of this, I knew that racoons were a risk factor to the turtle nest and eggs. I also already knew that humans make an effort to try to save the turtles depending on the place. Sometimes when I'm on vacation, the beaches have signs or fences around a turtle's nest. This protects the nest from being crushed by tourists and helps keep the animals away from the eggs. 



3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future. 

I can apply what I have learned to my teaching in the future because of all the activities we did. This topic has a variety of books, videos, and activities you can use to help students be engaged in the class. You can have students list the risk or helpful factors for the turtles as a way to assess what they learned throughout the lesson. I can also teach this lesson by having students engage in coloring activities to create and design their own turtles. 

Comments

  1. Hi Vanessa! I also really enjoyed the activities we engaged in from the "Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out" book. I plan to use some of those activities in my future classroom as well! Looks like your plant is growing very well, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa! I also found it heartbreaking that a turtle's survival is very hard to achieve. I like how you related our lesson to "The Last Song". I totally forgot that was the whole plot of the movie. It is also cool how you have actively seen action being taken towards helping the baby turtles. Your fast plant looks really good! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa,

    I liked how you tied in a connection to our turtle game and lesson we had in lab today, and I agree that there was so many resources we could use in a lesson around similar themes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Blog

Week 11 Blog

Week 9 Blog