Week 5
1. What did we learn this week?
This week we learned about biomes, habitats, and ecosystems. A biome is a large area that has similar climates and types of plants and animals. Habitats are a specific place where a particular community of organisms live. Finally, an ecosystem is a community of both living and non living things. In this community, the organisms interact with each other in a specific environment. We also learned about food chains and food webs this week. In food chains, only 10% of the energy is retained as you move up a trophic level. A food web shows the relationship between living things and the food they eat. It is a more detailed depiction of how the energy moves throughout the system.
2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
Yes, I was able to relate what I learned this week to what I already knew. I remember learning about the difference between biomes and habitats in the past. When we were asked how to differentiate the two, I already knew that examples of biomes are tundras, deserts, and rainforests. I also remember making food webs and food chains in my prior schooling. I could relate the difference in energy throughout the tropic levels to my prior learning too. I already knew about these topics but this week was a good refressure. It also went deeper with the lesson than my past learning did.
4. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I've learned into my teaching in the future by the ways we learned the lesson. For example, we collaborated with our groups to complete activities and used a Google Jamboard. I can apply these techniques and activities into my future teaching. It allows the students to be actively engaged in the lesson. Also, I could use the lesson about food webs and food chains to have the students participate in interactive activities.
Here's a picture of our fast plants! They have grown a lot since last week!
Hello Vanessa! Your plant has made great progress in its growth from last week, awesome work! I love how you explain how the collaboration from the Jamboard would be great to be used in your future classroom. Collaboration is a key piece to academic success and in life. It's great to see that you have a great plan on how your will incorporate it into your teaching! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteActively engaging and interactive activities would be great to use in your future classroom! Nice work!
ReplyDeleteI agree that using Jamboard is a good way to have students work together, especially for this food chain activity.
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa! I agree that utilizing the Jamboard of researching food chains in specific biomes is an engaging and interactive activity that we can use in our future classrooms!
ReplyDelete