Week 4
1. What did I learn this week?
This week we learned about the use of models in Science, specifically the 5E Model of Science Instruction. The model got the name because it's made up of five teaching phases that are each titled with with a word starting with E. This model works well with the NGSS. The five phases of the 5E model are engage, explore, explain, extend, and evaluate. Engage allows students to organize their thinking and develop questions to enhance their knowledge of the topic. Explore gives students the time to collaborate with their peers and learn by combining their curiosity and current knowledge. Explain focuses on teaching vocabulary and concepts. Extend allows students to investigate with their peers and test hypotheses to draw new conclusions. Finally, teachers can evaluate their students with tests at the end of the unit to check for understanding.
2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
Yes, I was able to relate the experiments to what I already knew. I remember learning about caterpillars and their life cycles. In elementary school we had caterpillars in class that we released once they turned to butterflies. When we looked at the caterpillars and learned about during lab I was able to relate it to this experience.
3. How can you apply what you learned to teaching in the future?
I can apply the 5E Model of Science Instruction to my teaching in the future. It can be done by shifting to student based learning. I want my students to explore and engage in the lesson to help promote learning through doing. As a teacher, I will create assessments and tests to help evaluate how effective the units were. This way I can make improvements to continue to better the class.

Hi Vanessa! I also learned about caterpillars in elementary school and their life cycles. We watched them grow into butterflies as well. I really liked your reflection on the 5E model and how you can incorporate that into your future classroom. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteHello! I agree that having a hands on and experiment based classroom is much more engaging. I also want to have that kind of learning in my future classroom.
ReplyDelete