Week 3
1. What did you learn this week?
This week we learned about the importance of context in science. For example, when asking if an egg was living or nonliving, the context was needed to make an accurate decision. The answer would change with context which is why it's important to know the facts before deciding. If the egg was still in the chicken it would be living compared to the nonliving eggs we cook for breakfast. Also, we learned about seeds, germination, and the life cycle. In class this week we planted seeds and provided them with the necessities like water, soil, air, light, etc. These materials will help the seeds undergo germination and become active. Before this process, the seeds are dormant. This experiment will help us see the life cycle in action. While we learned about the life cycle (ex: of caterpillars) we created our own example which is pictured below.
2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
Yes, I was able to relate most of today's lesson to things I already knew. For example, I connected today's lesson to my elementary science experiences. In first grade we had caterpillars that we kept until they hatched into butterflies. Also, the planting experiment was conducted at my elementary school. I remember learning about how seeds grow and the environmental requirements for them to grow. I also knew about the life cycle prior to this class. I can relate what we learned to my knowledge of a caterpillar or human life cycle for example.
4. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply this to my teaching in the feature because it provided examples of labs and activities. For example, we watched videos, listened to a story, presented, worked with our peers, etc. There was a lot of activities that can be implemented into my future classroom. Also, I can apply the life cycle to my teaching in the future. Since the life cycle can be represented by a wide range of examples like frogs, ladybugs, caterpillars, etc., it can be adapted for all students to be engaged in the lesson.
Hi Vanessa! I love how you already have a clear idea of how you can apply some of the methods we did in class to your future classroom. I believe that teaching content and pairing it with an activity increases student retention with the content of the lesson. I also love how you talk about how adaptable the lesson can be for all types of learners! Great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa! I love the pictures you included in your blog post. The life cycle of a lady bug is so cute! Providing examples of labs and activities can be very beneficial during our future lessons.
ReplyDelete