Week 2
1. What did you learn this week?
This week we learned about the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). We learned how to navigate the NGSS website and narrow our search to the specific grade level and topics we were looking for. Also, we broke down the standards to understand all the parts and information from the NGSS. These standards are made up of three dimensions: Science and Engineering Practices, Disciplinary Core Ideas, and Crosscutting Concepts. The Performance Expectations are listed in the top half of the chart. The three dimensions refer back to the Performance Expectations by labeling which ones they represent. For example, in the photo below, the Crosscutting Concept references both of the Performance Expectations because it says "(4-LS1-1)(4-LS1-2)".
These standards can be applied to my classroom in the future because they're a great way to create an engaging classroom environment. It promotes students to learn through doing. Instead of focusing on right and wrong and memorization, students better understand the core concepts. Using these standards, students learn more effectively because their is more than one right answer. It places more of an emphasis on collaboration than on the pressure to be correct.
5. What are new or remaining questions?
One question I have is how do you implement these standards if your district or state doesn't follow them? I'm also wondering if these are used in both public and private schools. In my experience, I think my public school curriculum was based off these standards but not my private school.

Hi Vanessa,
ReplyDeleteI liked how in-depth you went into your first question about what you learned. I also have the same question when it comes to how different districts and states use those standards.
Your blog is well put together, good job.
Hi Vanessa! I liked your question regarding how to incorporate these standards into a curriculum that may not explicitly follow the NGSS. I also liked how you were inquiring about private school education since they are not mandated to follow the national standards. Although my school growing up followed these standards, as a student I was unaware of the purpose. As future teachers we can show our students the importance of STEM through the NGSS and build their love for science!
ReplyDeleteVanessa,
ReplyDeleteI like that you discuss how these standards can promote collaboration and in turn give the students a deeper understanding of the lesson. I agree that this is an important concept in the classroom that these standards support. I would hope that many of the concepts could still be used for resources if you are in a district that does not follow NGSS but I am curious to how this would work as well.